The Problem of Boys' Literacy Underachievement: Raising Some Questions.
Watson, Kehler & Martino (2010)
Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy. Feb 2010
Female students consistently score better on standarized tests in the area of reading and writing. Some key points about boys and literacy:
- Not all boys are at risk.
- Socio-economic status makes a larger difference in scores than gender
- The real issue appears to be the role of masculinity.
- Maybe the "crisis" exists because our soceity thinks there is a threat to the social order when females out-perform males
- Some research indicates female teachers may be the source for poor performance. There is very little research to support this. In fact, most research indicates no correlation between gender and learning styles.
- Previously proposed solutions (boy-friendly strategies, hiring more male teachers, creation of single-sex classes) have proved largely ineffective.
- Try to squash the image that reading is for "nerds"
- Understanding of what it means "to be a man" must be explored.
- Incorporate a wide range of materials, including digital and electronic modes of expression
- Find ways for boys to improve their literacy skills without fear of social reprecussions
The Red Sox appear to be in serious danger of missing the playoffs for only the 2nd time this decade. I am depressed by the rash of injuries and the shocking lifelessness of these guys.
Mike and Mike have the bears going 6-10 or 5-11. Ridiculous. Anything less than 14-2 would be a disappointment.